In the event of an incident with national implications, the Federal NBCN Crisis Management Board comes to play. This staff assesses the overall situation and possible developments. It directs the federal measures for managing incidents leading to an increase in radioactivity and biological, chemical and natural events (NBCN incidents). The staff unit ensures that the measures of the various federal and cantonal authorities are coordinated and if necessary prepares requests to the Federal Council. NEOC forms the staff unit of the Federal NBCN Crisis Management Board.
In accordance with the NBCN Operations Ordinance, the directors or persons in charge of the following federal and cantonal institutions serve as members on the Federal NBCN Crisis Management Board:
- Director of the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH)
- Director of the Federal Office for Civil Protection (FOCP)
- Director of the Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office (FSVO)
- Director of the Swiss Federal Office for Energy (SFOE)
- Director of the Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN)
- Federal Council Spokesperson
- Director of the Directorate of Public International Law (DIL)
- Director of the Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology (MeteoSwiss)
- Director of the Federal Office of Police (fedpol)
- Chief of Armed Forces Joint Staff (AFJS)
- Director General of Customs (DGC)
- Director of the Federal Office for Agriculture (FOAG)
- Delegate for National Economic Supply (DNES)
- President of body for coordinated traffic management (KOVE)
- Director of the Swiss Federal Nuclear Safety Inspectorate (ENSI)
- Director of the Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research (WSL)
- Delegate of the Federal Council for the Coordinated Medical Services (CMS)
- One representative each from the relevant cantonal governmental conferences (CCG, RK MZF, CMPH, CCJPD, EnDK) and the affected cantons
- Further agencies are integrated on the basis of operational experience or as the situation demands.
A committee consisting of the directors of the federal offices for civil protection, public health, food safety and veterinary concerns, energy and the environment and the chief of the Armed Forces Joint Staff and the Federal Council Spokesperson and a representative from the cantonal conference prepare the matters of the Federal NBCN Crisis Management Board and determine in the event of an incident its actual composition and who its chairman is.
To ensure readiness for operations the Federal NBCN Crisis Management Board coordinates the elaboration of operational foundations and training for managing NBCN incidents.
As core element of the Federal Crisis Management Board the National Emergency Operations Centre is responsible for rapid notification and call-up of its members should an incident occur. NEOC continuously informs the Federal Management Board on the overall situation and the situation in the various fields that are processed by the various federal authorities and expert bodies and made available to the Federal Crisis Management Board via NEOC.